Τhe Mediterranean diet has been linked to reduced risk of heart diseases and lowered cancer risk for those who follow it. This really important characteristic of this diet comes from its basic ingredients which is olives along with olive oil.
More specifically, the benefits to the human body from olive consumption are:
- They contain powerful antioxidants that protect human cells.
- They have polyphenols that reduce the oxidative stress in the brain. Thus, daily olive consumption helps us improve our memory. Recent researches focus on the protection provided by olives against the degeneration of brain cells and Alzheimer’s disease.
- They reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol in blood and increase the levels of HDL (good) cholesterol and that’s why they are considered as a shield against coronary heart disease by helping prevent blood clots that can lead to heart attacks.
- They are related to lower blood pressure and help treating hypertension.
- They play a big part in maintaining a healthy immune system.
- They are a source of dietary fiber, vitamin E, mineral salts, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and iodine.
- They contain oleic acid that has many benefits concerning heart protection and keeps the skin soft and healthy.
- They enhance fertility and reproductive system and also they are considered as an aphrodisiac.
- Eating 10 olives before meal may reduce the appetite down to 20%.